Users often encounter the error VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found when trying to run a specific program on Windows 10, as well as other versions of the operating system.
In particular, users encounter errors when files are missing from the system – thus, it prevents the launch and operation of programs that rely on this file. Such errors can create a very unpleasant user experience when using Windows devices.
The VCRUNTIME140_1.dll element indicates that the missing DLL file comes from the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package and must have been originally installed on the system. However, due to some reasons, these files may be replaced, deleted or damaged. Therefore, users cannot launch programs on Windows.
In the article below, you will find methods that will help resolve the VCRUNTIME140_1.dll not found, is missing error in Windows quickly.
Table of Contents
Solution 1. Install all available Windows updates
Microsoft releases regular updates to fix errors that appear in the Windows operating system, including error VCRUNTIME140_1.dll not found. See if your computer has any new updates available and proceed with the update process.
Solution 2. Install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package
Some components in the Visual C++ library may be corrupted, leading to missing or not found DLL files. Therefore, installing the latest package may help you fix the problem.
Visit the official Microsoft website that provides the latest installers of Visual C++.
Download and install both vc_redist.x86.exe (32-bit) and vc_redist.x64.exe (64-bit) versions.
Once completed, reboot the system.
Note: If you have all Visual C++ Redistributable packages installed, uninstall them before installing new packages – here’s how:
- Type Control Panel in Windows search and press Enter.
- Go to Programs > Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- Right-click each of them and select Uninstall Visual C++.
Solution 3. Manually re-register the missing VCRUNTIME140_1.dll
Type cmd in Windows search
Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator to open CMD with admin rights.
In this window, copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each command:
regsvr32 /u VCRUNTIME140_1.dll
Restart your PC and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 4. Copy the missing DLL file from another location
Because VCRUNTIME140_1.dll is used by several applications and is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, it can be easily copied. Here’s what you need to do:
- Press Win + E to open File Explorer.
- Go to the View tab and make sure the Hidden items box is checked.
- Check the Hidden items box
- Now navigate to the following location:
- C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
- Here you will find a folder titled as follows (note that 14.0.29231.0_x64__ is a variable that changes depending on the version):
- Find the folder titled above
- Here, scroll down and find the VCRUNTIME140_1.dll file – press Ctrl + C to copy it.
- Find and copy the file VCRUNTIME140_1.dllNow go to the folder of the program you are having problems with, for example, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and paste the file using Ctrl + V.
Wishing you success in troubleshooting!